History of the synagogue
„Magnificent” - this is how visitors coming to Przysucha once described its synagogue. Even today, despite the fact that it requires renovation, the building is impressive. It is one of the few preserved late Baroque synagogues in Poland and the only one in the region. It was erected in the years 1775–1790, on a rectangular plan with sides of 35 by 19 meters. External and internal walls were made of split limestone jointed with lime mortar; the building is oriented to the east, the entrance is in the southern wall, and it is covered with a hipped, stepped roof. The facades are divided with pilaster strips, the corners of the building are rounded.
The synagogue was a place of worship until September 1939.
During World War II, the Germans used the building as a warehouse, and it remained so after 1945. The first project of the monument’s conservation was undertaken in the 1960s. However, the work carried out in the years 1968–1970 was carried out unskillfully and did not turn out to be good for the synagogue. The roof structure was changed, the stuccowork and most of the internal plasters were removed. The pillars supporting the bima were also cut, which threatened the very structure of the building. Attempts were made to restore its stability by adding a steel structure around the bimah, but it was not properly anchored.
Since 2007, the synagogue has been owned by the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, which is trying to save it. The roof and façade were renovated, the foundations and the structure were reinforced. Unfortunately, still much remains to be done. According to the Foundation’s plans from 2017, Przysucha, with its renovated synagogue, adapted for exhibition and conference purposes, would become the center of the southern part of the „Mazovian Jews Route”.